I have an innate curiosity for science, literature and music, and I am happily trying to juggle between these! I also have a thrilling drive to teach others and help them realise their passion.
Despite my love for learning, I was a shy kid growing up and wasn't always able to ask for help when I needed it. I can now recognise when someone else is struggling to understand a concept or is curious to learn more. I am patient with those who need help and will teach from a level of common ground and respect. I believe there are no stupid questions.
• 2011: NSC, Sastri College
• 2012-2014: BSc (Genetics, Microbiology), UKZN
• 2015: BSc Honours (Genetics): UKZN
• 2016-2017: MSc Biological Sciences (UCT)
• 2018-2020: PhD Palaeobiology (UCT) - ongoing
• Winning an award for English narrative essay writing in 2011, achieving a distinction for my Honours thesis in Genetics in 2015 and performing with the UCT Choir on the Baxter Theatre stage for the first time in 2017 - pretty scary, but exhilarating.
Life Sciences (Biology)
I studied various aspects of Biology in university. I majored in Microbiology & Genetics; now I'm starting a PhD in Palaeobiology. I loved Biology in school and know how overwhelming it is to study, and I'm very eager to help students get through it!
In school, I was excellent at essay writing and literature analysis. I won a Francis & Jessica Brett-Young Memorial Prize for obtaining above 90% in my final grade 12 examination essay. I also had 100% for the final departmental oral moderation.
I adore music and grew up playing the piano. I obtained certificates in grade 4 theory and grade 5 piano. I was the pianist at RCA Emmanuel Church from 2012-2015. I'm also currently a member of the UCT Choir, and I would love to teach beginner piano.
Iyra will travel up to 10km from Rondebosch, Cape Town, Western Cape to you.
Approximate location and area of coverage.
Click “Get a tutor” and we'll send matching tutors straight to your inbox. Plus only 40% of our tutor profiles are public – don't miss out on the other 60%GET A TUTOR